If anyone is bored...

Packrafting trips and tales from down under.
mark

If anyone is bored...

Post by mark » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:54 pm

Given how quiet things have been on the forum I thought some of you might appreciate a link to a video I finished making last night - another ultra low trip down the Lea River in NW Tasmania. Waiting on more water down here before heading out again and to South Island NZ.

https://vimeo.com/83425075

van diemen

Re: If anyone is bored...

Post by van diemen » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:35 pm

Great video Mark, thanks for sharing, looks like a fun weekend. Great photography and a very professional looking video.

Jules Watson

Post by Jules Watson » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:47 pm

Great vid Mark. What are you folks using as butt protection?

mark

Post by mark » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:22 am

:) More butt protection would be good in that we often seem to end up on low volume trips like this one. We simply use thermarest seats or 3/4 thermarest lite mats - nothing fancy. Have to admit we have blown the internal seams on two of these due to overheating in the sun. Would prefer something thicker like a Feathercraft seat with kayak backband. We rarely paddle without additional support for our butts and heels/ankles. Sorry cant help you with adhesive supplier in NSW.

Darren

Post by Darren » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:09 pm

Well played as always mate!

Thanks for posting, cheers.

Fishdejour

Post by Fishdejour » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:38 pm

Sweet work Mark, great vid as always, what camera are you using?

Steve

mark

Post by mark » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:52 pm

Howdy Steve. No doubt I am in one of your favourite places at present - South Island NZ. :) Just got off the Clarence River which we loved. Will post a video TR eventually. 95% of the time I use shots from a Canon XA-10 camcorder complimented with a GoPro3 but on last video (overnight on Lea) the best shots (macro & walk-in shots) were taken on a 5D-MkIII I think AND were taken by renowned professional wilderness photographer Wolfgang Glowacki who is getting into filming (& packrafting) more and more. I am trying hard to learn better technique and to not just use my video camera in auto but will never get to Wolfgang's standard.

See you in Tassie sometime - we should organise a PR get together down there one day.

Fishdejour

Post by Fishdejour » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:09 pm

More than a bit jelly of you paddling NZ whilst I'm working my butt off over summer, at least I can live vicariously through your vids till I can get back out I will be in Tassie in a few weeks , walking without a raft!! doing the SCT. Your vids are simply awesome, not sure I would want to lug a camera worth those $ down a river, I am simply to rough and clumsy, do you have it in a housing? I figured there must have been a bunch of cameras as you seem to get each drop form 3 angles.

Damn right we should organise a PR get together in Tassie, my hand is up. Enjoy NZ!

Steve

dulkara

Post by dulkara » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:41 pm

Hi Mark,

I've just started packrafting and am based in Harihari, South Westland (70km south of Hokitika). If you folks end up this way, you're welcome to a spare room. There's a great river 5km up the road (Wanganui) which even makes a fantastic day trip. Feel free to email me if you're coming down this way, would be awesome to meet some other packrafters, we're a bit thin on the ground in NZ! dulkara.martig@gmail.com - also, any others reading this post, feel free to get in touch if you're coming down to the South Island!

Cheers,

Dulkara