Places along the Great Divide

Looking for a partner or need help with logistics? Post here!
hlloyd33

Places along the Great Divide

Post by hlloyd33 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:30 am

Hi, just got my first packraft which I shall be taking with me when I cycle the Great Divide from Canada to Mexico later this year.
I'm planning the trip now and looking for good places to packraft along the route - which could be either gentle bike-rafting or side-trips leaving the bike behind and hiking light.

If anyone has some suggestions or recommended trips I'd really appreciate it. I won't be following the great divide religiously, so any good places nearby I'll consider too - would like to see the best parts of the US! There'll be two of us. We'll be passing through or near Glacier NP, Yellowston and Grand Teton to name a few places and we were thinking of a side trip to Utah and the Grand Canyon too.

Thanks

DaveChenault

Re: Places along the Great Divide

Post by DaveChenault » Sun May 22, 2011 7:05 am

For starters you'll go right along the North Fork of the Flathead, which unless it's running high (more than 3,000 cfs) is a great mellow bikerafting float. You could put in by Polebridge and float all the way down to Columbia Falls, which IMO is a good trade for Red Meadow Pass (which is cool) and road riding from Whitefish to C Falls (which is not).

On that subject, you could take out at the confluence with the Middle Fork, and ride the only bike-legal singletrack in Glacier NP (http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails ... ation.html) to Apgar, check out Lake McDonald, then bikeraft back down McDonald Creek (mellow and scenic) and down the Middle Fork to C Falls.

There's lots of fantastic packrafting in the Bob Marshall, but hard to see how you'd make that work with riding the divide.

hlloyd33

Re: Places along the Great Divide

Post by hlloyd33 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:36 am

Thanks for the Glacier NP tips - I'll get looking into those routes. Sounds good to me.