Crossing Colorado to Maze?

Looking for a partner or need help with logistics? Post here!
bbranan

Crossing Colorado to Maze?

Post by bbranan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:55 am

Folks,

Me and a buddy are planning to backpack the Maze in Canyonlands at the end of next month. Our plan is to use my packraft to cross the Colorado River at Spanish bottom. I have not used the packraft with two people and wonder if this is a good plan. Has anyone crossed the Colorado there and can offer some advice? We are going to give it a trial run this weekend on the Sacramento River, which is the biggest river around here.

Thanks,
Brad
Brad Branan
http://lightflighthiking.blogspot.com
Twitter: @BradB_at_SacBee

MikeC

Re: Crossing Colorado to Maze?

Post by MikeC » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:45 pm

bbranan wrote:Folks,

Me and a buddy are planning to backpack the Maze in Canyonlands at the end of next month. Our plan is to use my packraft to cross the Colorado River at Spanish bottom. I have not used the packraft with two people and wonder if this is a good plan. Has anyone crossed the Colorado there and can offer some advice? We are going to give it a trial run this weekend on the Sacramento River, which is the biggest river around here.

Thanks,
Brad
Doable for sure. Hike waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay upstream before starting to cross--you won't make very good headway with 2 in 1 boat. Probably a good idea to do a second trip for packs.