Alpaca Gnarwhal SB or Kokopelli Nirvana XL SB?

The forum for anything related to gear.
Randall.einhorn

Alpaca Gnarwhal SB or Kokopelli Nirvana XL SB?

Post by Randall.einhorn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:13 pm

I have been looking at both of these boats and wondering if anybody has had experience with both/either of these boats. The alpaca is longer and heavier but in terms of performance, which is more fun to paddle. Opinions welcome!

thorkild

Re: Alpaca Gnarwhal SB or Kokopelli Nirvana XL SB?

Post by thorkild » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:57 am

According to their websites, the Nirvana XL is 10.5 pounds while a large Gnarwhal SB is 8.0 lbs.

Randall.einhorn

Post by Randall.einhorn » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:13 am

I would get a medium which is 7 lb 6 oz. so its a 3 lb difference. My question is performance and overall quality

Randall.einhorn

Post by Randall.einhorn » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:12 am

I would get a medium which is 7 lb 6 oz. so its a 3 lb difference. My question is performance and overall quality

Chief

Post by Chief » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:12 am

Last I checked SB Alpackas don't have a full length inflatable floor. You sit lower but your feet are in the water. Luc Mehl told me felt that was a deal breaker in Alaska. The Kokopelli has a thick full length inflatable floor. You will get splashed but your feet are not constantly in the water. With a drysuit it should be fine.

Randall.einhorn

Post by Randall.einhorn » Wed May 31, 2017 12:08 pm

I bought the SB Gnarwahl and just got back from a 10 day trip in southern Utah. The boat is brilliant and such and upgrade from any other packraft I have paddled. It paddles more like a hard boat than any other pack raft I have paddled in that, the effort you put into paddling seems to be much more effective. The boat turns on a dime and respondsto leaning on an edge and carves into eddies etc. Its less of a bus and much more of a boat. Coming from hard boating for 30 years I felt more at home and inspired to put some effort in and get results. That being said it is a COLD boat and I would not do a trip like I just did again without a dry suit. Your feet are out of the water but the water sloshes around your butt and up your back and does chill your organs so be warned.