Fire Pan for Canyonlands, etc

The forum for anything related to gear.
coloradoiceman

Fire Pan for Canyonlands, etc

Post by coloradoiceman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:16 pm

Anyone have any beta on a lightweight fire pan for long hikes and packrafts that meets the requirements for Canyonlands, etc.? The ranger suggested this:

https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Aluminum- ... m+cake+pan

which works but is heavy. Seems like Alpacka or Kokopelli or someone else could make a super lightweight one. Maybe there's one out there that I don't know about?

mark

Re: Fire Pan for Canyonlands, etc

Post by mark » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:06 pm

Checkout ‘Suspicious Devices’ on Facebook or www.suspiciousdevices.com for some really well made titanium fire pans that have been well tested and used by lots of experienced packrafters.

longJohnThePirate

Post by longJohnThePirate » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:09 am

For a $10 option, I bought a cake pan at wal-mart. Heavier than I like, the titanium ones sound nice, but if you're only carrying it to satisfy the permit, it also makes a hell of a frying pan. Not too different than the ranger's suggestion.

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:32 am

I have one of the Suspicious Devices versions and if we have a group of ~4 or more that's what we take.

If I'm solo I take a foil turkey basting pan from the local grocery.

WYKara

Post by WYKara » Mon May 13, 2019 8:44 am

Turkey basting pans are no longer a legal alternative for any portion of the rivers in Canyonlands at any time of year, Check out this article for up to date info and some suggestions for firepans! Cheers!

https://packraft.org/work/canyonlands :D :D :D