Packraft vs. Alligator?

General discussion for everything that doesn't fit into the categories below!
Livingood, AK

Packraft vs. Alligator?

Post by Livingood, AK » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Alligators/Caimans in South America/anywhwere? Thinking about Peru and Ecuador as a destination but we're a little concerned about being eaten, having no experience/knowledge regarding alligators. Anything helps!

Cheers

AeroNautiCal

Re: Packraft vs. Alligator?

Post by AeroNautiCal » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:07 pm

I'm guessing that in a Packraft -v- Alligator attack situation, the Packrafter has a very, very bad day! Image

Remember Hendrik Coetzee...

Hugo_Matte

Post by Hugo_Matte » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:56 pm

I've completed a two week long trip in the everglades two years ago. Alligator were quite often on my mind; I imagine they could snap the paddle if they decided to.

However boating in these water is a very popular activity and the maps are very well documented; hence I Imagine this never happen.

The most scary party is when you non intentionally corner an alligator in a bay or a stream. They move very fast agitating the water, very scary when you don`t expect it. They are just trying to run away. This happened maybe 3 or 4 times.

I did see a lot of alligators of different sizes. Maybe 10 or 15.

I think your concerns, just like mine was, is probably over exaggerated. Caiman are much smaller as well. I would be much more scared of other human beings if I was you :)

My two cents

nuning

Post by nuning » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:42 pm

Thank you for the presentation of the ideas in the various sections that are considered a good experience.

Princess Crown

crisp90

Post by crisp90 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:09 pm

I am such a chicken person. Heating and Cooling Toronto Alligator scared the shit out of me.

Gabomontero

Post by Gabomontero » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:44 am

Hi from. Ecuador, come and enjoy!, if you can packraft with alligators near, you Will love to see them, even the pirahnas in the jungle doesnt attack when you are swimming, I learn That in my Last trip to the jungle, the animals are more safe than we think

Hanka

Post by Hanka » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:36 pm

Gabomontero wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:44 am
Hi from. Ecuador, come and enjoy!, if you can packraft with alligators near, you Will love to see them, even the pirahnas in the jungle doesnt attack when you are swimming, I learn That in my Last trip to the jungle, the animals are more safe than we think
wow!! real live piranhas? goodness with all the sharp teeth ? what provokes them to attack?? i guess disturbing any animal especially the ones with an aggressive nature like alligators in their natural habitat is not that safe, never had an encounter with them though, wish to know if anyone has, and gotten out of the ordeal unharmed.