Packraft vs. Alligator?

General discussion for everything that doesn't fit into the categories below!
Livingood, AK

Packraft vs. Alligator?

Post by Livingood, AK » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Alligators/Caimans in South America/anywhwere? Thinking about Peru and Ecuador as a destination but we're a little concerned about being eaten, having no experience/knowledge regarding alligators. Anything helps!

Cheers

AeroNautiCal

Re: Packraft vs. Alligator?

Post by AeroNautiCal » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:07 pm

I'm guessing that in a Packraft -v- Alligator attack situation, the Packrafter has a very, very bad day! Image

Remember Hendrik Coetzee...

Hugo_Matte

Post by Hugo_Matte » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:56 pm

I've completed a two week long trip in the everglades two years ago. Alligator were quite often on my mind; I imagine they could snap the paddle if they decided to.

However boating in these water is a very popular activity and the maps are very well documented; hence I Imagine this never happen.

The most scary party is when you non intentionally corner an alligator in a bay or a stream. They move very fast agitating the water, very scary when you don`t expect it. They are just trying to run away. This happened maybe 3 or 4 times.

I did see a lot of alligators of different sizes. Maybe 10 or 15.

I think your concerns, just like mine was, is probably over exaggerated. Caiman are much smaller as well. I would be much more scared of other human beings if I was you :)

My two cents

nuning

Post by nuning » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:42 pm

Thank you for the presentation of the ideas in the various sections that are considered a good experience.

Princess Crown

Gabomontero

Post by Gabomontero » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:44 am

Hi from. Ecuador, come and enjoy!, if you can packraft with alligators near, you Will love to see them, even the pirahnas in the jungle doesnt attack when you are swimming, I learn That in my Last trip to the jungle, the animals are more safe than we think