Richmond, Va Urban Packrafting

jmartin

Richmond, Va Urban Packrafting

Post by jmartin » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:50 am

Just bought a packraft and joined APA after years of canoeing and SUP, and wanted to share with the community the urban pack rafting available in Richmond, VA.

We've got about a 5 mile stretch of river inside the city limits, starting out with gentle class 2s, then growing to a couple Class 3s and a 4. This is all bounded by mountain biking trails on both sides of the river, and the class 4 rapid adjoins an island accessible only by foot trails. This terrain opens up a host of opportunities, that make for a full day of self powered outdoor sports without ever setting foot in a car.

My favorites are i) to mountain bike the trails, then hike upriver, paddle down, and hop back on the bike, or ii) bike the roads on a folding bike, take the bike downriver, and bike back home. (Haven't yet ventured to run Class 3-4 with a big mountain bike lashed on front). The urban environment is kind of cool -- you can see office towers from most of the big rapids, but that doesn't keep the bald eagles and other wildlife away. Saw an osprey catch a fish last night. Plus when you finish paddling you are a five minute ride to tons of brew pubs and restaurants.

We've got a great kayaking and rafting scene but not many other packrafters. I've heard there are a few but not yet seen them out. If anyone's nearby, come visit.

msfitnetz

Re: Richmond, Va Urban Packrafting

Post by msfitnetz » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:41 pm

will do

Thank you for information in post! :D

easternpackrafting

Re: Richmond, Va Urban Packrafting

Post by easternpackrafting » Tue May 08, 2018 1:23 am

I'm in the region and having been doing a ton of day/overnight trips around the area. Planning to do a write-up on the lower James in the coming weeks, would be great to see other packrafters on the river then. Reach out if interested. The conservation that has taken place on the James River is astounding, from polluted dumping grounds to fully recreational river in 20 years time.