Willow Creek--Guardrail Section; Wood?

The south side of the Alaska Range, the Talkeetnas, the Chugach mountains, the Kenai Peninsula and the Wrangells
andydennis

Post by andydennis » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:44 pm

Anyone run Willow Creek guardrail section this year yet? What is the wood situation?? Thanks. Happy paddling..

John N

Re: Willow Creek--Guardrail Section; Wood?

Post by John N » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:52 pm

I haven't been down it because it has been so high (1340 today), but I hear it is wood free. I also heard some of the rapids changed quite a bit.

Tomahawk

Re: Willow Creek--Guardrail Section; Wood?

Post by Tomahawk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:54 am

Ran guardrail for the first time on Saturday and was playing around on the little drop right at the top of it. It ate me the first time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5CTYHT_liU, and then it ate me the second time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UsiuhQ3AvI, and the second time I had my paddle ripped away and it managed to sneak its way down the river. Luckily we had a spare, but it anyone finds a 4-piece aquabound with pink stripes painted on the blade--that's me. Two9Seven-8Two9Three. Thanks!

chris erickson

Post by chris erickson » Thu May 09, 2019 9:57 pm

My earliest Guardrail lap so far!

There is one river wide strainer after the second or third drop. It is in the flats and not a major hazard, but I wasn’t able to go under/over despite an attempt or two.

I took out at redgate as the water was pretty low, and I didn’t feel like having to repair my raft this early in the season. There is a dead moose on the redgate road...so beware of bears in the near future.

There is still a little shelf ice on river left, but everything goes.