Late season trips

The south side of the Alaska Range, the Talkeetnas, the Chugach mountains, the Kenai Peninsula and the Wrangells
arisjunior

Late season trips

Post by arisjunior » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:43 pm

Wanted to compile a list of rivers that have adequate flow in the late season near anchorage. I saw the post about echo bend and i saw that hunter creek still has enough water. Does anyone else have suggestions? Aaron

John N

Re: Late season trips

Post by John N » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:56 pm

Hunter Creek? Like the one that dumps in to the Knik?

arisjunior

Post by arisjunior » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Yeah the knik hunter creek. The from the bridge to the knik and then a few miles on the road side of the knik and then take out at the aairboat dock. The knik is obviously flat water.

John N

Post by John N » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:43 am

OK, never thought about running that. What's the water like from the bridge down? Has anyone tried to run upriver of the bridge? I have only seen it in the winter, don't know what it's like other times of the year.

MarkOathout

Post by MarkOathout » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:37 am

Hunter Creek upstream of the road could be tough. I used to hike up there starting at a trail about 500 yards on the other side of the bridge, which is now shut down for access. It has been several years since I roamed that country(80's), but I do remember looking down into a seriously steep valley/ canyon which I never attempted to go into. We would walk along the ridges back towards Mt. Palmer, I believe, which headed us towards knik glacier. However, we could see H. Creek and a major trib. On the flip side, I bet we could sneak up[ that trail, but it would be a summer project.
Don't bother with downstream, I know your syle, you will be unhappy.

rupe

Post by rupe » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:34 pm

6-mile is still good, and will be for some time. It can be as hard or easy as you woudl like depending on what you do.

andydennis

Post by andydennis » Thu May 03, 2012 4:09 pm

I did Hunter Creek down stream of the road last summer in early July. It was good for a half mile and then it got really brushy and braided. After that is was ok down into the Knik.