Suggestions For A First Packrafting Trip

The south side of the Alaska Range, the Talkeetnas, the Chugach mountains, the Kenai Peninsula and the Wrangells
jj442434

Suggestions For A First Packrafting Trip

Post by jj442434 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:23 pm

First off, let me know if this is not the right place for this post.

Here goes. My brother and I both get out of school around May 15th of this year, so we've decided to head up to Alaska. Originally we were talking about canoeing the Yukon from Whitehorse to Circle, but we though we might be able to get to more scenic, secluded places by packrafting. We want this trip, whatever it may be, to take at minimum 1 month, topping out at 2.5 months. The problem is, I'm not really sure how to go about looking for routes with rivers suitable for first time packrafters. Does anyone have any input, maybe on a longer trip that they have taken that they enjoyed? Or if not that, is there a good place to start narrowing down the massive amount of information that is out there.

Some background on us: I have thru-hiked the John Muir Trail in the Sierra Nevada (about three weeks) and done numerous other short to mid length solo backpacking trips. He spent about 9 months hitch hiking around the US, taking backpacking trips in Idaho, Utah, and even a solo cross country trip in Gates of the Artic National Park for I think 10 days. He also did a raft trip on a calm portion of the Colorado River near Arches National Park. So though we do not have much rafting specific experience, combined we have quite a bit of experience with backpacking, logistics, etc, and are mentally prepared for long wilderness trips.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Yonder Mountain

Re: Suggestions For A First Packrafting Trip

Post by Yonder Mountain » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:14 pm

I am in a very similar position -- beginner packrafter but experience with backpacking, and heading up to AK around May 15th with a friend. Unfortunately we do not have the opportunity for a 1-2 month trip and instead can only go for about 12 days. We are also looking for trip ideas.
Maybe we can join forces during our 12 day stint, not sure how much good that will do though seeing that we are both beginners haha..

jj442434

Post by jj442434 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:31 am

Sent you a PM

adelorenzo

Post by adelorenzo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:23 am

Swiftwater rescue training would be a good idea if you plan to be on remote rivers where your only option is to rescue yourself. Even on an "easy" river things can go wrong and the cold water doesn't leave much room for error.

I can't help much with Alaska rivers but if you are driving/hitch-hiking and want info on the Yukon let me know. (I live in Whitehorse)