Moose Creek

The south side of the Alaska Range, the Talkeetnas, the Chugach mountains, the Kenai Peninsula and the Wrangells
Tomahawk

Re: Moose Creek

Post by Tomahawk » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:18 pm

Wow. Had great time on Moose Creek late Friday night. That is one rowdy creek. Unfortunately we hit a snag when a paddle was consumed. So if anyone crosses paths with a paddle that has 1/2 of each blade painted bright orange you could either keep it for a spare or trade to it the former owner for a warm fuzzy feeling inside (and a case of beer, I would think). I believe he had an aquabound carbon shred, but I'm not positive.

Have good mosh pitting.

MarkOathout

Post by MarkOathout » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:26 pm

Thats the fourth lost in there in the last two years that I know of. Paddle jams. Will keep an open eye for it.

John N

Post by John N » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:04 pm

I checked out your video. Looks like the yellow boater ate it right above the big rock. What flipped him?

Also, did you finish the run or walk out at that point? We have been clearing wood on the creek and I wonder if there is much left after the big rock.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:50 pm

We didn't have any spare paddles so we stopped paddling at that point. Scouted down a little ways from there and stopped along the road at a few points to walk some sections of the creek, and everything I saw looked great in terms of clearance. There is a pretty big log maybe 50 yards (?) down from that big rock that spans nearly the breadth of the creek and created a nice little bump drop as it was completely covered, but I don't know what it would present with a little less water in there. First time I've been there though, so maybe it's a long time resident.

Not entirely sure what snatched him there, but we've done a lot of boating lately with an extra 30-40lbs in a pack on the front of the raft; so it could be that it was just a case of being a little too far back coming into that swell without the bow weight.

Looking forward to getting to know that run. I think I've got some kind of packraft fever after getting that boat this year. My wife is starting to figure out my mistress is the creek.

MarkOathout

Re: Moose Creek lost kayak

Post by MarkOathout » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:55 pm

John and I had an awesome run down the creek today, however... a new strainer took me out 200 yards from the upper takeout and I could not hold my kayak. After about 100 runs down I guess it was tiime for me to pay homage to the gods of the creek. At any rate, it's a beatup Jackson Mega Rocker, could be in the Mat by now.
As far as the creek at 320-350, awesome, wavy, with holes, and obviously has some new wood in no eddy places that really sucks.

MarkOathout

Re: Moose Creek lost kayak

Post by MarkOathout » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:00 am

My kayak was found in a logjam, glad I was not in it. Thanks to all who offered to help find it.

MarkOathout

Post by MarkOathout » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:04 pm

The upper can be ran without getting out, however... there are some tight tricky spots. The creek is harder this year, holes are deeper, 275 is the lowest I have ran it this year and it was fairly rowdy. So anyway, it's cleaner of wood and safer, get it before it tanks, still 268, will get boring under 240 or so.

Paul_LaFrance

Post by Paul_LaFrance » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:45 am

Pete and I floated Moose Creek on Friday after work. First time down it - super fun. Pete posted a video at: http://youtu.be/hJu4Ws93IWY. Went back and floated it with Greg on Sunday. Both times the flowrate was about 250 cfs. Run is pretty free of wood (thanks Mark and John N). Had to avoid a few submerged logs but didn’t have to get out of the boats. Did have one minor mishap with Greg – pushed off a wood pile that I was heading toward and my paddle blade disappeared in it (dumb move). Must have got caught in a forked tree because I couldn’t get it out, even by pushing it in and twisting it. Eventually my grip on both boat and paddle weakened and boat got away from me. Got paddle out by pushing it really deep into the wood mess and twisting it, then ran downstream after boat. Fortunately Greg was able to pull out and collect it. Other than that, all went smooth and look forward to another run while the flows are good.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:46 am

We also boated Moose on Sunday @ ~260. Clear line all the way down, but with a couple tight spots.

John N

Post by John N » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:09 pm

Tight spots should be slightly better. Mark and I cut some saggers out on Monday. Water level will be good this week.

JustinWholey

Post by JustinWholey » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Is Moose Creek clear of wood from the put-in to the Glenn Hwy takeout, or just the upper section? Thanks
-Justin

MarkOathout

Post by MarkOathout » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:35 pm

It is full of wood that is where my kayak was in a log jam

MarkOathout

Post by MarkOathout » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:09 pm

Hey Justin, it is not as continuous as the upper but does have some good sections. You should be able to work your way down it with caution, even at a higher flow like now, 290cfs, just watch the bends. There are two drops which have old trusses beside them, one on right the other on the left, both have water that runs under them so steer clear of those banks, other than those spots and wood it is pretty easy.

JustinWholey

Post by JustinWholey » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:56 am

Specifically I'm curious it there are sweepers strainers across the entire channel that require a portage, from the put-in at the end for Buffalo Mine Rd. near the gate (and just below where the ATV bridge used to be), to the Glenn Highway. A few friends and I floated it at the end of September last year, and it was quite fun, but it was just after the flooding, so we scouted every bend, and found lots of trees requiring portages. I'm just trying to figure out if folks have been floating all the way to the highway, or just to where the road stops paralleling the creek. Thanks for your work up there Mark.

-Justin

Paul_LaFrance

Post by Paul_LaFrance » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:23 am

Yesterday after work, Pete and I floated Moose (bridge to the pavement break) at 266 cfs. Great after-work float. One hour walk in, one hour float out. Just as we were getting to the bridge put-in, a shot range out. A guy accompanied by his two not-so-docile-looking dogs was target shooting from the bridge. He turned out to be decent enough and suspended his shooting until we got our boats in the water and took off.

No dumps, but the creek threw us around a fair amount and Pete got delayed in a sticky hole. Super fun. My hat goes off to you guys who ran this at 340+.

MarkOathout

Post by MarkOathout » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:59 am

Paul, the ledge 100 yards below the big rock on the left is pretty sticky, but the backwash is not very wide, so speed makes it un-noticable, but lack of speed... that one has got most of us at one time or another.

The creek is just perfect for skill building, it is very busy for long periods of time, and just gets harder and harder the higher the water gets.

Walk up and try Woody Boof, scout it though, because of wood, it's alittle tricky and looks sticky, in the middle. It is perfect to build good boofing skills, at around 275 where we ran it, and is doable at higher flows. Use the large eddy 100 yards down on the right to do laps.

John N

Post by John N » Tue May 13, 2014 7:10 pm

I've been working on wood removal from Moose the past few days. I believe all of the wood that is near the road (on the upper section) has been removed. Water level is too low, but as soon as it goes up I'll make sure the rest is clean.

If you haven't run Moose-you should. It is quite the run when there is enough water.

John N

Post by John N » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:43 pm

Upper Moose is wood free. Lower Moose (end of pavement to the highway) has about 4 necessary portages, only one of which is long.

MarkOathout

Post by MarkOathout » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:33 am

John, Andy, and I finally ran most of the upper, upper section of Moose Creek, about a mile and a half above bridge, which is a class IV trip, at 240-ish where we ran it. The creek is very much like a small L. Su., longer tighter drops, closer together, some rapids have really nasty lines that would hurt, so scout as you go up. You will have to portage about 5 minutes around the cabin section, put back in right below the giant cottonwood below cabin, then it's all clean through Woody Boof to the bridge/ old put in.
The run would be doable at 220 or so, but very scrapy, 250-270 probably best, any higher it would get intense, and pushy, the upper reaches would start looking class V-ish.

Russell Biggs

Post by Russell Biggs » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:25 am

I ran Moose Creek yesterday from about a mile above where the pavement ends to the highway. There are 3-4 mandatory portages, two due to logjams and others from river wide sweepers. They are all fairly easy to spot in advance. Lower part of the river was getting pretty bony at the water level I was seeing but it still a fun splashy ride.

kwt279

Post by kwt279 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:43 pm

We ran it on the 6/25 (~250 cfs) and 6/26 (~260-280cfs) 3 times from the bridge to the Glenn Hwy, we had 4 portages due to wood. The rain on the 26th made the first part quite the ride. Fun creek, easy shuttle! I look forward to scouting above the bridge!

MarkOathout

Post by MarkOathout » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:31 pm

Hey guys, the land above the bridge is private, both sides of the creek, the drive crossing the creek is private. If you do the upper upper, do not cross the creek, the owner has contacted me and said people were sneaking through his yard, around his house, etc., (stay along the creek, again do not cross ). If people behave up there we may not get any hassle. The owner seems like a pleasant guy, help keep the trash picked up, and respect his property, I like to boat up there and do not want to get hassled because of others actions.
Have fun.