Retrofit Caribou or New Boat?

The forum for anything related to gear.
WhiskeyRiver
Retrofit Caribou or New Boat?

Post by WhiskeyRiver » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:46 am

I purchased an Alpacka Caribou in spring 2020. It was my first foray into the world of packrafting, and I was mostly attracted to its weight. I have yet to use it for bike rafting, (and I have no specific plans to, though I like the idea). I live in MT and what really inspires me are the Bob Marshall floats. N fk of the Sun, Middle + S. Fks of the Flathead, etc.

The few outings I’ve taken the Caribou on so far have taught me that, even in relatively easy whitewater, an open boat is a wet and cold way to get around class 2-3 water.

So, I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who can speak to a) the possibility of retrofitting the Caribou with a whitewater spray deck or some other modified deck to keep most water out. I like this option because it could be very light, but of course I’m nervous to permanently modify the boat.

Or b) if I sell the caribou and just start fresh with the “right” boat what should I buy? I want it to be as light as possible, but capable of keeping me dry- ish in easy whitewater. I’m 6’2’’ 190 lbs and the llama with cargo fly/ww deck seems like it might be the way to go.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

androidmids

Re: Retrofit Caribou or New Boat?

Post by androidmids » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:26 pm

Its relatively straight forward to add a spray deck... you can use a glue option (aquaseal) or a heat iron approach. It basically has you adding a coming around the boat that your spray deck can attach to. you can make a removable one or a permanent one.

here is a link https://www.diypackraft.com/constructio ... -assembly/

Alternately, you could get a cheap universal spray deck, which does work but isnt completely sealed and attaches with velcro https://www.bing.com/aclk?ld=e8wEN2VYMv ... f93079cc74

I like the open deck myself and use a dry suit when I want to stay warm